Friday, June 06, 2008

June 2: Will Hike for Food

It is a definite perk for all hikers and perhaps a few might admit to it being a core reason why they hike. When you hike you eat pretty much whatever you want. Everything marketing and the world has told you should be off limits or reduced to small quantities is flipped upside down for hiking. You want calories, you want fat, you want protein, you want carbs, if it's got it you want it. So, you pack as many oreos, cheetos, or candy bars as you want. It's true you still need nutrition and balance, but what you throw in the furnace of your belly will burn. Some estimates put hikers burning over 6,000 cal per day! I can hardly eat that if I try.
I (Mark) pack about 3,500 calories per day right now when hiking. I also plan on eating a lot when I'm in town. Our metabolism continues to race when in town and I usually arrive quite hungry- especially for food I haven't had in a while. All kinds of things taste amazing that I might otherwise be picky about. Food takes on a strong appeal as it is a source of fuel as well as delight.

So, when I arrived at the Chevron gas station after hiking 21 miles and hitching a ride, I take no guilt in looking to refuel my body. I find a Microwave burrito named "The Bomb." As I'm zapping the 960 calories of beef, cheese, and beans I'm hoping it got it's name because it is big on taste and not because of what happens after you eat it :)! To go along I couldn't resist the fountain drinks noticing they had rasberry tea. I went down the line of cups and then found on the counter, too big for a wall dispenser, the largest size of all- you know the one that resembles a bucket more than a glass. You wonder if a family of five could finish the thing. As the drink clicks full I toss in some mini donuts to finish what will simply be round one of dinner. I delighted in every bite and sip amazed at what a wonderful meal a Chevron could provide, thinking probably only truckers know how good this combination can be.

Today's hiking notes: We ended up sleeping a little later deciding not to rush into town. But, when we realized we had a shot at making it before the Onyx Post Office closed, we hurried. We made it to the road at Walker Pass at 3:15 and got a hitch about 3:35. We made it to the Post Office to get our bounce box just before closing. We would wait to send it until morning.

We relaxed on the Post Office porch next to the Chevron the rest of the evening. All there is to Onyx is a Chevron, a PO, and 300 people when everyone is home. As it got dark we slipped across the street and slept under some trees out of sight. It was kind of funny camping with our cardboard bounce box we planned to mail in the morning.

Total Miles:652.0
Miles Today:20.6
Camp 36:Onyx Stealth Camp

------------------------------
Allow us to help those in need, sell back your spare PocketMail and make some extra pocket money.

No comments: