Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Snow Nostalgia

Fall is over. Winter has finally shown it's face. I woke up this morning to discover my windshield dusted with white flakes and flurries rushing past my window in a dizzied pattern, as if they were chasing each other like kids playing tag. The first few snowfalls of the year always bring a smile to my face. It seems to call up memories of coming in after a few hours of sledding or playing in the snow and finding a warm cup of hot chocolate with marshmellows waiting for me; of crackling fires and cuddling under blankets while watching a movie; of curling up and reading a good book, cozy and safe on my living room couch; of fun times with friends--skiing, having a snowball fight, or going on walks late into the night with Mark, all bundled up with nowhere in particular to go--content to walk and talk for hours even though our fingers are freezing and our toes went numb thirty-five minutes ago.

So this morning, even though I'm at work and don't actually get to do any of the above things, I still find myself with a smile on my face. Maybe after work I'll go home, throw a snowball as I walk to my car, curl up with a good book on my couch, while drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate, and pretend there is a fire crackling in the fireplace I don't have. Who wants to join me?

2 comments:

kate debaene said...

remember how awesome snow days were? i wanted school to be cancelled so badly that i woke up extra early to hear it. it's funny though, because in college, they know you don't have to drive anywhere because you live there. my college never cancelled.

Anonymous said...

YEAH for Snow!