Friday, November 04, 2005

RENT


What is RENT? "It's a modern day version of the opera La Boheme. Set in NYC's East Village, it's an emotionally stirring story of a community of young artists struggling to live and celebrate life" [www.siteforrent.com]. It's been about eight years since I first saw this broadway musical--shown in downtown Chicago. It was the craze amidst my music-savvy, music-obsessed high school, and many of us had parts of the sound-track memorized before we even saw the show. I remember walking away from the show having loved it--and it's been deemed my favorite musical ever since.

It was just a month or so ago that I was sitting through the previews of a movie I can't even remember now, and a preview popped up for RENT--and to my great surprise and great joy, they've decided to make it into a movie! This is a movie I've searched stores for, hoping that it had been made into a rentable [or buyable] version. But to my extreme disappointment, the answer had always been no. However, on November 23 my search will be over. My only fear is that I will sit through this movie and that it won't be as good as I remember it to be [my other fear is that no one will want to go with me because I will sing the whole thing straight through--I've still got 95% of the soundtrack memorized].


The point that the whole show is trying to communicate is that “love is all and there is ‘no day but today.’” It features a character lineup which includes several homosexuals, a “dancer”, a starving musician, a movie artist, a transvestite, and many others who would be a lot less controversial. Many of the characters are HIV+, and their driving question, “how do you measure a year in the life of friends?” Their answer? “Measure in Love.” If I remember correctly, it will prove to be a truly thought-provoking film. It’s always interesting for me to watch something that I saw and loved before I was a follower of Christ. What usually happens is that I watch it again and don’t like it as much [hence the fear that I won’t enjoy this production as much]—however, ever since my theology and philosophy of film class my senior year of college, I’ve been challenged to watch all movies through a different—critical—set of lenses. There is Truth of some sort in every film/production out there, and even now, without viewing it again, I can already see some of the threads emerging—many of them values that Christians claim to hold in the highest regard:

1. Love
2. Community
3. Passion
4. Dreams [having them and following them]
5. Justice [especially in regards to the poor]
6. Loyalty/faithfulness
7. Honestly
8. Being Real/Authentic/Honest

…to name a few. I’m sure there are more. If anyone has seen the musical, I'd love to know your thoughts. If not, and you see the film version....I'd love to hear from you in about a month :). So, until [if] my idealism is dashed upon seeing it again, I'm still a big fan. There's something so powerful about anticipation...but that's a post for another day. Ciao!

5 comments:

pk said...

You built up my curiousity. Now I have to wait a few weeks!

I've never really heard of Rent. I mean, I've heard ot it by name...but that's all. Thanks for the scoop. I'm positive that when I see this film I will appreciate it 5 times more because I will be enjoying it "with" someone else.

Jess said...

You'll have to let me know what you think! I think it will be a good discussion-starter!

Amy said...

Hey Jess...on the memorization of the soundtrack: how sick is it that I can sing to you all of Alexi Darling's phone numbers?! wow...I also went through a RENT-obsessed phase in high school :)

Loved it when I saw it in NYC almost eight years ago...but struggling a bit with what to think about it now that I'm walking with the Lord. I saw a commercial for it on TV the other day and part of me got all nostalgic, and the other part of me just wondered. I can see those positive themes you pointed out, I suppose...but does the good outweigh the evil? Does it glorify God or help me love Him more? Part of me still loves some of the music...the other part of me wonders if that's in conflict with "do not love the world" and wonders what would be the benefit or motive of my watching it now.

Questions I'm not even sure how to phrase. And certainly not questions meant to judge your perspective! Just thinking out loud about what's permissible/beneficial for me. These are issues I've long struggled with when considering the "in the world not of it" paradox, etc. I have heard so many persuasive arguments both ways regarding "secular" vs. "Christian" stuff and lots of times I just don't know what to think. Hmm.

Jess said...

Amy~

Thanks for your comments! I love dialogue! I agree with you on much of what you said..."but does the good outweigh the evil?"--that's a good question, and that is why my fear is that it won't be as good as I remembered it. I think that there is definitely truth in every musical or movie out there...often times you just have to look to find it. I'd love to hear your thoughts again if you choose to see the movie when it comes out!

pk said...

I saw the trailer over the weekend on the big screen. I had no idea the whole time that it was the trailer for Rent until the very end. That's how clueless I am about it. You would have known within the first .5 seconds because of the music.

It looks interesting.