Thursday, August 28, 2008

More Pictures!

Sorry if this grosses you out :). It's the bottom of Mark's foot after being wet all day!
one of the many lakes we pass. gotta love the clouds that are a constant now as we hike.
sunset over a lake we camped by.

the trail goes over the trail as we leave Ranier National Park (Chinook Pass?). The trail barely enters the park...we skirt the edges of the park for a few miles.
the crew drying everything out on a day that finally had sun!
Em...this ones for you! Thanks for the great letter!
Camp Urich. I wish the coolers were ours, but they belong to another family that was camping there as well. We have hit a few of these huts along the way. They are always nice if the weather is iffy or if mosquitoes are bad.
Mt. Ranier. We think it got a bit more snow when it was raining on us. It's normally covered in glaciers, but I don't think it's usually THIS white!
The Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run was going on one day through the section we were hiking. This was at Stampede Pass, and since it was toward the end of the day, they let us have free reign of the food table. It was great!
Mark hiking in the clouds.
Hiking a day out of Snoqualmie Pass (Just above the Parks Lake Basin). Yes, I am wearing rubber gloves. Someone told me they would keep my hands warm and my liner gloves dry in the rain and wind. So far, I give them only a moderate rating. My hands are only warm some of the time and my gloves are still wet from my hands sweating in the gloves. Oh well...it was worth a try! Any other suggestions? Oh, and yes, we are using trash bags for pack covers, which DO work.
Mark above the Park Lakes Basin.
Ah...blessed sun breaking through the clouds.
Delate Creek waterfall. Mom, this is the only picture of a waterfall we have on our current memory stick, and it's not the best one, but I thought I'd put it up here for you anyway!
The view on one of our many climbs and descents between Snoqualmie and Skykomish.
ditto.
The only ford we've had to do in a loooooong time. No matter. We were already wet due to rain. We also end up walking through overgrowth that is wet and your feet are wet in no time at all. Getting us ready for the Glacier Peak area!
We saw this sign as we were coming into Steven's Pass (Skykomish). So now we have to beware of bears, mountain lions....and blasting. :) We had none, though. The only sound we heard was of Marmots and Pikas.
This was our hitch into Skykomish...in a horse trailor (no horses though)!The guy who picked us up was joking about hauling illegal immigrants, and when we got dropped off, a kid walking by smiled and said, "Welcome to America!" It was great!
The guys in the picture with me are (L to R) Boomer and JZ.
Hope this gives you a little more insight into our journey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly nothing makes my morning quite the way a picture of Mark's soggy foot does... Thanks guys!

We miss you - LOTS! But we've enjoyed keeping up with your journey and can't wait to catch up soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

just got settled in up here and found your postcard and have enjoyed reading your blogs. You are both nuts, but I love you anyway!

Jess, I believe I am pastoring your old church - Sand Lake; we love it up here - great church and people!

Look fwd to reading when you make it to the end...

Rich

Jess said...

Rich! It's so great that you are at Sand Lake. I was sad when Jim left, because I didn't think I'd really know anyone when I came back to visit. It's very exciting to have you there! It's a great church...God worked through the people there in many ways in my life. Can't wait to see you when we are home to visit!

Keith Drury said...

Thanx for all the pix! I could remember many of the spots... including the road where Burt left us I think...