Saturday, August 30, 2008

August 26:Switchbacks Galore!

We spent the morning walking through overgrowth that had our legs and feet soaked before long. Soon the clouds disipated and the skies cleared up and the day was pleasant and cool. The word for the day is "Switchbacks." We lost and climbed a couple thousand feet at a time, switchback after switchback, down one side of a canyon, up the other side, over the crest, down the other side...and so it went. It reminded me alot of Yosemite, only not nearly as steep. The first of our climbs afforded us a rising view of the canyon wall opposite our wall of switchbacks. The top was jagged and glaciers hung in the cirques and bowls below the peaks. The ridge boldly held back the clouds that threatened to spill over and obstruct the clear skies we were deeply enjoying.

It was great; we got to dry out our stuff and hike in beautiful weather all day. It wasn't until we got to camp that the rains came. As one fellow hiker said, "The thing I like most about the rain is not being in it." Agreed! It rained steadily all night. We stayed relatively dry, but with a tarp, it splatters in underneath if it rains for any significant amount of time.

About 2:30am I woke up, sure I was hearing the pitter-patter of little feet running around my head. I sat up, grabbed my light, and thoroughly startled Mark when I exclaimed, "Whoa! There he is!" We quickly shooed him out, and have nicknamed the bugnet "mousetrap." The can easily riggle under the bugnet to get in, but then can't figure out how to get out! It's not too big a deal, because they never get any food, but I am getting a bit tired of having to wake up at night to chase them out. I guess the only other alternative is to not use the bugnet, and if that's my only other option, I'll befriend the mice when necessary. Or at least tolerate them. It's a decent price to pay for mosquito freedom.

Total Miles:2445.8
Miles Today:28.8
Camp 121:I'm Tired of Mice!

------------------------------
Have a spare PocketMail laying around, sell it back to us and help those in need.

1 comment:

pk said...

Who knew it would be so easy to catch a mouse?