Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Can See!!

Yesterday was the day. I went in at 7:45am with glasses on, and emerged at 11am with clear vision. Yes, I had LASIK surgery done. I was very nervous since I have never had any type of surgery before and this is one where you are awake and staring at a laser that is messing with your eyes. Oh, and I like my vision, so the possibility of anything going wrong was a bit nerve-wracking.

But Dr. Wright was very encouraging and they talk you through every little step along the way. It's crazy because they give you these eye-numbing drops so even though they are doing a lot of stuff to your eyes, you can't even tell.

The lasers really aren't on your eyes for long at all. I had IntraLASIK done so the whole thing is done by lasers [verses the kind where the eye flap is cut with a blade]. So they take you in, numb your eyes, and cut a flap in your cornea with a laser. Then you go sit for 20-30 minutes while some air bubbles that form during the flap-cutting disappear, and then they take you in for the shaping of the cornea. The doctor lifts the flap in your eye, and then everything goes pretty fuzzy; you stare at this little blinking red spot, and as the laser shapes your cornea it's kind of like a psychadelic light show. Each eye took less than a minute.

Mark got to be in there with me as well and watch the whole thing on a TV screen, which was kind of cool, as well as a friend from our church who works at the Vision Center I was doing this through. Now I just have this crazy eye drop regimine to stick to for the next few weeks and quite a few follow-up sessions to attend.

I know it's only been one day, but they checked me out this morning and I already have 20/15 vision in one eye and 20/20 in the other, and they say it will only get better over the next few weeks. I would totally recommend this to anyone, as long as you find someone who will do a good job.

And I must say, it is very nice to not be wearing my glasses anymore, but strange to be able to see without the aid of contacts. Yes, exciting times for sure.

3 comments:

Estoked said...

That is awesome!

STEPHANIE. said...

yay! yay!!!!

Keith Drury said...

Just in time to see all those scenes on the PCT! (Ok you could have seen them with glasses..but this is better!)