Monday, March 03, 2008

P90X


When we moved out to South Dakota, I had this plan to get a membership to the local YMCA or find a gym that would allow me to get a 5 month membership. But right away, Brooke asked if I would want to do this new workout program with her. She said her aunt had done it and that her aunt got "ripped" from doing it. I said okay, but was a bit skeptical at first simply because I've done home workout videos before and they have been good for a time or two, but it was never as good of a workout for me as going to a gym. It didn't take long for me to get hooked! P90X is awesome! I would recommend it to anyone looking to work their butt off and get in shape. It's a 90-day program that works you out 1-1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week, and the order in which you do them, changes weekly. The website describes the effectiveness of P90X this way:

"The secret behind the P90X system is an advanced training technique called "Muscle Confusion," which accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus, and you never get bored!"

What's really fun is that Mark and Paul have gotten into them too. So every once and awhile you will find all four of us doing yoga, plyos, or some other routine together, kind of like a "family" activity. And because the leader, Tony Horton, is a bit quirky, we have all these funny one-liners memorized from the different workout routines that are easy to throw around in the middle of normal conversation and that make us [well, me] laugh most of the time that I hear them during a workout.

So, you ask, have I gotten ripped from doing this workout? Heck yeah! I'm huge! Well...okay...that might be an exaggeration. I worked out pretty consistantly before starting P90X, so I haven't seen a ton of difference, but I can definitely say I am stronger, more flexible, and more toned. I have done more push-ups and pull-ups in the last 10 weeks than I've done pretty much in my whole life, and I think if I was following the food program they suggest you follow, that might make a difference as well [although we try to eat pretty healthy anyway]. I am definitely fit, though, and will be bummed when we move and it will be over.

All in all, it's been awesome and a lot of fun as well...I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a great workout program and who doesn't want to head to a gym. You just have to be willing to work hard, be consistant, and be willing to




3 comments:

STEPHANIE. said...

haha! I love your excitment Jess! This may be good for me post-pregnancy. :) I have always worked out consistently, but now only walk and yoga with a little bit of light lifting sometimes...can't wait until I can do anything again!!Sounds like you guys have fun. keep it up!

SuccessWarrior said...

"5, 4 - - 3, 2," I said.

"You're not going to start talking like Tony now, are you?" my wife asked.

"AbsoLOOTly!" I answered.

kate debaene said...

now i want this. :(