Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Salmon River Slab

I learned to rock climb today. It was awesome. I had climbed a couple of times in gyms on rock walls, but to be honest, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about clinging to the face of a big chunk of rock. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I love hiking and love to have my feet planted firmly on the ground. But I really liked it! I had so much fun. Mark had climbed a little in high school, and we even had some of the gear from our mountaineering excursions (Rainier, Hood, etc), but neither of us had much experience. So when some friends said they were heading out on our day off, we jumped at the chance to go with them. The two most experienced climbers led the climbs and fixed a top rope for us newbies. This is the much safer and easier way to climb. Our friend, Danielle, was able to borrow some shoes for me and another girl to share, but most of the guys weren't able to squeeze their feet into Andy's size 8 1/2 climbing shoes, so they went up in tennis shoes (not the easiest thing to do, which makes their climbs even more impressive). Mark and I each completed 3 routes and had a blast. I can't wait for the next time!

chalk prints.

I'm the one at the top! This was my second climb.

Repelling down.

This is Danielle after racing Josh to the top. She was climbing on an injured ankle, but she scampered up the rock face like it was no problem (at least she made it look that way - I think it actually hurt).

This one is Mark at the top. He climbed up a 5.9 route in tennies. What a stud!

Repelling down after a victorious climb.

I think we found ourselves a new adventure :). Thanks for the invite Danielle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am impressed!! It looks difficult to me...but you look like a pro in the pictures! Just be careful as a fall would NOT be good!

Danielle Searl said...

Anytime! I'm excited for Frenches Dome. My ankle is no longer as fat as it looks in the picture. I'm ready to go again!

Jill said...

Crazy you guys are hanging with Danielle Searl...small world : ) She has always made climbing and hiking look easy : ) I went with her on an IWU trip to the Grand Canyon when she was one of my RA's : )