Sunday, November 02, 2008

Oregon Locals

This is us as we are getting ready to leave for Oregon. Yes, cheesy, I know. This should be a picture of us already in OR; however, our camera is still packed away in a box in the minivan. Thus, all you get right now is a picture of us in Mark's parent's garage :).
We loaded up Mark's parent's minivan and our car, and headed out for at 27 hour drive cross-country. We spent a night with friends in York, NE because there were "blizzard-like conditions" in western Nebraska. Our second night was spent with a friend we met in SD, Jonathan Elliot. The air force had just assigned him to a base in Utah, and it just so happened to be on our way. We had a great time getting to spend time with people we hadn't seen in awhile, and it made the trip a lot easier to break it up. Did you know that ther's absolutely NOTHING in Western Nebraska, Wyoming, and most of Utah? Eastern Oregon doesn't have much either, and even though there isn't much there, it's absoulutely beautiful! Day three, we finally arrived at our destination.
Since we couldn't get into our apartment for a few weeks (which later fell through), the parents of our friend, Aaron, were generous enough to let us stay in their little guest house that is behind their home just outside of town. This is where we've been for the last week.
Our time has been spent looking for apartments (since the first one fell through AFTER we got here), and jobs. Applications are out to a few places, and a few more will go out still, and then we just wait, pray, and hope that things fall into place.
Why did we choose Oregon? We had visited Aaron and Annie on a past vacation and really enjoyed the city. Then, when we hiked the trail, we stopped by again, and since we didn't have any commitments to a location when we were done hiking, we decided to move back here. We've lived in the Midwest our whole lives, and yet we are in love with the mountains. It was time for us to try living in and near them. And so, here we are. Giving it a whirl. Our hope is to take advantage of the beauty and adventure that is at our fingertips out here: hiking, biking, snowshoeing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, winter camping...mountains to climb and wilderness to explore. And in between, I guess we'll have to go to work :).
Want to come visit?

6 comments:

B,P,R,S & L said...

What happened with the plan to start grad. school?

Jess said...

We put grad school off for a year so we could finish the PCT. We would have had to quit early to go this fall, and there was still a school left to visit before a decision on location is made...so we had a year to choose where to live...and we picked Oregon!

Burton Webb said...

I am totally jealous and yes, I want to come visit. In many ways I wish that I had made decisions similar to yours when I was younger... but then, I am only 43 and my kids are almost grown. I keep working on Kay, maybe she will join me on the PCT someday - keep praying! :-)

Keith Drury said...

Burt and I will be out to see you -- let us knnow when you land a temp job... and the progress on next year's grtad school decisions

STEPHANIE. said...

wow, You have some beautiful pictures!!What an amazing experience!Hope things in Oregon are going well, we are sad we missed you when you were in town, but I understand you guys had lots to do in such a short amount of time. I saw Mark's mom at Amber's shower, she said you guys had a lot of stuff to go through before you moved.

Cassy said...

Hola como estas! I know I´m terrible for not keeping in touch, but honestly I´m not one for the computer unless I´m traveling myself. So here I am in South America....Chile, now Argentina--later Uragauy and Brazil!
So Oregon huh? I think that suits you two perfectly! How´s it going so far.Definitely when I return we need to have a long chatsy Jess! I´ll be back March3rd.
Take care you guys!