Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Random Update...

A good chunk of my time is spent here these days. Good ol' Blackboard. I have fallen into a schedule of working at the church in the mornings and doing school in the afternoon, which seems to work out pretty well. If you would have asked me a year or two ago if I would enjoy doing an online school program, I would have said no. But I really am enjoying this format and the freedom it brings to the schedule.

This is my "garden." Basil and Rosemary. They started out so tiny and have flourished. It's so fun having fresh herbs. I had them outside, but Oregon has these wonderful slugs (that we first met when we were hiking) and they apparently like to eat Basil. So, once I figured that out...in came the plants :).

Everyone here has a garden. We were having lunch at the home of a couple that goes to our church, and we discovered that they grow corn, summer squash, tomatoes, green onions, apples, strawberries, blueberries, and grapes. There may be more, but that's all I can remember. I am pumped...next summer I am going to try and have a garden of my own...maybe less extensive to start, but I definitely have my pick of what to grow...it seems like everything grows here!


mmm....triple chocolate scones. I got the recipe from a fun blog I found that has tons of great recipes. These are super easy and quick. If you want something yummy for dessert or just enjoy baking...give these a whirl. Of course, you have to like chocolate :).

Other than these few things, we have been spending our time getting to know people at the church and in the neighborhood, getting the house organized and settled via craigslist, and discovering what our new area has to offer. Did you know that we live an hour from downtown Portland? There is also a great array of fun date places for less than $10 between the two of us. We are really enjoying it here, although we are continually being warned about the rainy winters, which we have yet to experience. Something to look forward to :).

1 comment:

Keith Drury said...

Thanks for the update Jess!
Blackboard--I love it and hate it all at once!

As for the garden..everyone in my first church had one and since they thought I was too stupid to plant one they gave me all kinds of stuff... we ate Beets I think for every other meal right until Thanksgiving! They gave us so many grapes we made grape juice in a half-dozen gallon jars and tucked them away under the sink..then forgot them... until that is, one exploded one Sunday morning during the sunday school class that met in my living room. When they smelled the result they wondered why their pastor was making wine in his kitchen! I had some explaining to do that next week (I worked it into a sermon as an illustration the following sunday and everybody seemed hapily satified --though for months they kept asking if they could come over for "some of the pastor's wine.") ;-)