Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Race for the Cure

This past weekend my friends Kate, Heather and I ran the Quad Cities Race for the Cure, a 5K, or 1 mile run/walk [respectively] that supports breast cancer research. It was my first "race" to run in, even though I love to run and have been doing it for years. Needless to say, I'm not really a "racer," but it was fun to do and for a good cause. You had the opportunity to run "in memory of" or "in celebration of" someone you know that has died due to breast cancer or that has survived, which makes the race all the more special for many who have lost loved ones. I don't know anyone personally that has died from breast cancer, but I will give a little shout out to my friend and co-worker Kathy Brothers, who has won that battle in the past couple years. So, even though I couldn't find a sign to wear during the run, know that I was thinking of you!
Jess, Kate, and Heather with our racing numbers.

They were handing out these pink scarves for free at the finish line. I might also mention it was like 50 degrees and rainy out...brrr!


Only in the midwest would race banners be held up with John Deer tractors.

this pic got put in the mix b/c I need a url to put my pic in my profile. :)

4 comments:

rebekah said...

hey jess, i ran the race for the cure last year in chattanooga and will hopefully this year too... it is a pretty amazing thing. one of my PT professors lost his wife to breast cancer a few years ago, and we sort of all band together to support him. glad you guys did it...

Kelli B said...

That's awesome - one of the best races b/c of what they support.

And looks like you had fun, despite the bad weather! :)

kate debaene said...

hey chica! miss ya! wish i could have been running with ya...and by running, i mean walking at a really fast pace.

Estoked said...

My whole QC area family was there Jess! Heather my cousin's wife cut the ribbon to start in support of her being the youngest person diagnosed in the area. It has been amazing to hear of all the support there family has been getting.

Just think! NEXT WEEK!