Monday, September 19, 2005

Keys to the Kingdom


So, I was going to the bathroom today at work, and what do I find in the women's bathroom? Keys to the Kingdom...what else would you find in a women's bathroom at a church? You're probably wondering what this incredible find is...and you should wonder, because if you've never heard of it before, you might be as amazed as I am. It's a board game. Yes...they made our spiritual journey into a board game. Incredible isn't it? Here's a little taste of the game, as written in the direction packet:

Object of the game:
1. to become "born again"
2. Through the Holy Spirit draw closer to God
3. To love your neighbor as yourself
4. To put off the deeds of the flesh and walk according to the Spirit
Explaination of the game board
The game board consists of 5 concentric bands, held together by 12 yellow spokes coming together at the center. the largest (outer) band represents the world. The 4 inner bands represent your growth path in the Kingdom of Heaven, God being the center.
The yellow spokes represent the Holy Spirit (leading your closer to God) while Jesus is represented by the red doors located where the yellow Holy Spirit spokes connect with the world.
There are "key cards" which include things such as truth, faith, humility, and trust, and "flesh cards" which include things like anger, lust, greed, jealousy, selfishness, and the like. There are also "scripture cards" and "crown cards," which are needed to win the game, and are received when you "love your neighbor" and give up a turn or give over a card needed by another player in order to help them out. I'm kind of in awe that someone took the time to make a game out of this, and even moreso, because it was possible to take something incomprehensible and make it into a board game...
I wish I could say more, but I'm off to a retreat. I leave you to ponder the wonders of spiritual board games on your own. Chaio!

3 comments:

kate debaene said...

you beat me to it. on friday, i noticed this as well, and it was my intention to post about it. thanks for covering for me. also, i like that the motto was to "help others win". loving jesus is a lot like teeball - everyone's a winner.

Amy said...

wow. I have no words, just wow.

The Chinlund Family said...

Keys to the Kingdom, eh? Nice concept. I wonder if really strict Christian parents only let their kids play "Christian" games...that is so funny! I'm going to feel guilty the next time I play one of my "non-Christian" games though... but too bad, I like Cribbage! :)