Monday, November 24, 2008

East of Eden


Just a couple days ago I finished reading Steinbeck's East of Eden for the second time, and as soon as I read the last word I wanted to start over again. If you haven't read this book, it is the book he felt he had been waiting his whole life to write. It is loosely based on his family history as well as the Biblical story of Cain and Abel and explores the themes of good and evil and generational sin ("it's in your blood"). I am partly smitten by this book simply because it took place in the late 1800's to the early 1900's. It is a time in history that I have always been fascinated by, I think, because the way of life was so different than now, and in the big scheme of things, it wasn't that long ago. But apart from the historical insight, Steinbeck is one of those writers who has incredible insight into the human psyche and nature that makes me really stop and ponder as I read. It's a long book and there's so much to it, that I really just want to keep reading it over and over.
A friend/professor of ours from college has done several reading/discussion groups with this book, and I only wish I had been around to be a part of one. He is currently just starting in on reading the whole of Steinbeck's work, which I would hope to do one day as well. East of Eden is definitely at the top of my list of all-time favorite books and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book that is a great novel, but one that will really make you think. Just last night I started in on A Journal of a Novel: The East of Eden Letters, which is the journal/notes Steinbeck kept while writing the novel. I hope it will be an interesting read with insight into his thought process and writing process.
I'd love to hear any thoughts from others who have read the book...

5 comments:

matt said...

It's definitely my favorite book of all time... I'm happy because I finally convinced Liz to read it a month ago and so now we can talk about it! :) matt c.

Burton Webb said...

I was in one of those reading groups... you are right, it was terrific fun!

Keith Drury said...

Whenever we live in the same town again (or take some extended zeros on the trail) we'll do another reading group! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey how is Oregon??
And when do I get to come visit??

Anonymous said...

I'm anonymous... can you tell I dont do this much
- christin jones